Friday, March 25, 2011

Presidents and Toy Story, First Grade Style

Many of my students were non-readers when our current president was elected, a fact that was irrelevant to me until an argument erupted and half the class passionately asserted that his name is Rocko Bama. ("It is! I KNOW! My dad told me!") We had a brief social studies/spelling lesson once everyone had calmed down and I had stopped laughing.

(I have to confess that while I don't have any trouble with saying Barack Obama's name, I'm stuck with a different political creative hearing problem: every time I hear someone on the radio talking about the crazy president of Libya, I hear Mallomar Gadaffi -- and subsequently picture a chocolatey-marshmallowy cookie man. Proof that I'm a first grader at heart, I guess.)

The fact that what I say is not always what they hear was reinforced today when I was introducing our science fair animal report projects. I listed the types of animals the students could choose from: "Mammals, or birds, or fish, or reptiles, or you could even do amphibians..."

To which Jeffrey immediately responded (in his best Buzz Lightyear impersonation), "To Amphibian! And Beyond!"

3 comments:

  1. It's good to take a break from soul-crushing books to read posts like this that make me laugh in a public library. mallomar..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds a LOT like Mallomar. I get VERY distracted by that every single time I hear it on the news, and then I fail to comprehend what is going on in Libya. (I predict that you are now going to have the same problem...)
    An aside: sometime, I need to explain to you why that book you're reading is not soul-crushing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He he he and for that Gadhaffi guy, no one seems to spell his name right either - Not CNN, not BBC - Ghadaffi, Quadafi, Khadafi, Gaddhafi etc... no wonder he behaves mysteriously - he is a mystery, that one!

    ReplyDelete