Tuesday, July 19, 2011

No Reading, Still Learning -- Just Different Stuff Than Planned

This will be brief. I'm not supposed to allow my brain too much time like this, but it simply drives me crazy not to write at all!
It was supposed to be the sixth week of reading. Never made it to posting week five (it's slipped on the priority list), and week six has involved no reading whatsoever. That's because I had an exciting incident which involved flying over the handlebars of a moped on Wednesday evening and landing on my face in the middle of Lake Street, which precipitated 48 hours at HCMC on the neuro-trauma unit, and then forced rest at my parents' since. 

Wednesday night, just after ER but after they cleaned me up.
I have a lot to learn about resting over the next month. First lesson: I do not do this well. Working on it.

Thursday. Yuck.
I AM trying to sleep more than usual these days. My little brother just walked into the living room and asked, "Megan, what time do you go down for your nap?" We both cracked up.

Saturday. Improving!
Gratefulness, which guards me in so many ways, is something I want to cultivate during this season. So I'll share my list today. I'm thankful...

...that we were wearing helmets on Wednesday night. Multiple doctors have told me that my helmet probably saved my life. 

...for nearby, competent, caring medical personnel. I was in good hands.

...for loving, encouraging words from every corner of my life (representing loving, encouraging people everywhere I go -- how did I end up being connected to so many amazing people like that?! You know who you are -- thanks!).

...for parents who are well in the habit of going above and beyond the call of duty. (I've been woken up at 6 AM every morning by my dad, who gets me my pain med and then prays for me before he goes to work. And the list of things my mom has done for me --grinding up food since I can't chew, constantly refilling my drinks, not even blinking when I threw up in her car, patiently helping me remember things like the order of the alphabet, listening to me tell the same story multiple times-- would be a massive blog post all by itself. And that's without any of the effusive commentary I'd want to include!)

...for Scripture which has come back to my mind even when I haven't been able to read it, and for all of the people who have sent me Scripture. (I've been particularly grateful for the many verses which have come from Li, Tiff, & Dave. Thanks, guys, for sharing your meals with me!) I laid awake early Thursday morning, highly frustrated by the fact I was immobilized, they wouldn't remove my catheter, and the doctors wouldn't come back for at least an hour. Peace came as I mentally rehearsed James 3, which wasn't even connected to the situation, but just truth. And truth is life.

...for an adorable nephew who keeps coming across the living room while I type and pulling my laptop screen down to share a flirty smile with me. He's not bothered by all of my wounds. :)

Today. Looking better! Wish the inside felt as good as the outside, but moving in the right direction...
OK, so I lied about this being short. But it felt so good to write. Might be a while before my next one, especially if the guardians of my recovery find out about this...

2 comments:

  1. I love you, roomie and friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know I have been thinking of you and praying for you. You are an inspiration all in yourself.

    ReplyDelete